I was finally able to get my cron jobs running in Drupal 5.7 (I previously had them working in Drupal 5.2), but when I upgraded they stopped working. I previously had cron run the lynx script, but that now doesn’t appear to work. I tried pretty much everything.
Then I did a search of blogs and found Jeff Briar-Hills’ blog and it produced the elusive answer. What you need to do is put the following in the cron job which can be found within the cPanel menu:
45 * * * * wget -O – http://www.rorymcpherson.com/drupal/cron.php
I have put this here to remind me during future updates.
Please note that I am using SiteGround for web hosting.